9oz Self Raising Flour
1/4 tsp Bread Soda
1 1/2 oz Butter
1 tblsp Snipped Fresh Chives (Or dried chives if you don't have fresh)
1/4 tsp Rosemary (or whatever herbs you prefer)
2oz Cheese, cheddar, mozzarella whichever you fancy but reduced fat
1 Egg White, lightly beaten
- Pre heat oven the 230 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with parchment paper or lightly coat with cooking spray
- Mix together the flour, herbs and bread soda in a large bowl
- Rub the butter in until mixture looks like coarse bread crumbs
- Stir in half of the cheese (I did a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella)
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the buttermilk
- Mix with a fork until a soft sticky dough forms. I found I had to add a bit more buttermilk here
- Drop heaping teaspoons of the dough on to the baking tray, or grab a small handful and put it on the tray like I did. You get about 15 scones out of this. I did them a bit small so made the next batch bigger and got 7 scones out of the mixture.
- Brush them with egg white and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for approx 12 minutes or until golden
These are lovely just out of the oven with some unsalted butter or served cooled down with a slice of ham.